"Lifetime Operating Timer at Event Time Zero (sec)"

This forum is for the open, public discussion of the Crash Data Retrieval Tool or Event Data Recorder technology. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site and not intended for direct CDR Tool User technical or analytical support.
mcretu
First Name: Mary
Last Name: Cretu

"Lifetime Operating Timer at Event Time Zero (sec)"

Post by mcretu »

Hi there, I'm an attorney working on a case involving a car accident. I have the CDR report from Bosch, but am (admittedly) a complete novice in this arena. It's my understanding that the report does not indicate the date/time of the "non-deployment event." However, it does give a number (in seconds) for the "lifetime operating at event time zero." I'm trying to figure out what that number means. Can anybody help explain it to me? (P.S. If I should post this question in another forum, please just let me know.)

Bob Anderson
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Anderson

Re: "Lifetime Operating Timer at Event Time Zero (sec)"

Post by Bob Anderson »

Hi Mary,

With the exception of some of the newest cars, in general automobiles do not know what day or time it is.

Most automobiles keep "time" in terms of the number of times the vehicle is powered up and down (ignition cycles) or odometer reading.

The number of seconds the vehicle has been powered up is what is known as the Lifetime Operating Timer. If the Lifetime Operating Timer at download is recorded, that information can be used to evaluate the relatedness of the recorded data to the crash of interest, as can ignition cycles and odometer readings, if those parameters are reported.
Bob Anderson
Tempe, Arizona

mcretu
First Name: Mary
Last Name: Cretu

Post by mcretu »

Thank you, Bob--that makes sense now. I appreciate it!

DPatrickRyan
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Ryan

Post by DPatrickRyan »

You know the saying about the person who acts as his own lawyer? Well, it applies at least as well to acting as your own crash expert... You need to hire someone competent to assist in interpreting that kind of data.
D. Patrick Ryan, P.Eng. - Graham Ryan Consulting Ltd.
#34, 11410 - 27 Street SE Calgary, AB T2Z 3R6
Phone: (403) 290-1150 Fax: 290-0659 Cell: 651-8340