minimum distance headlights illuminate

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
pepewa
First Name: jose
Last Name: real

minimum distance headlights illuminate

Post by pepewa »

Hello, my name is Joaquin and I am expert witness, accident reconstructionist addition to the state, would like to know minimum distance headlights can illuminate the short-range and long-range as those in our legislation existed for 50 meters short range and long range 100 meters, but it was removed and not know anything else.

I found this forum by software cadzone, evidently in Spain do not use software, recreation equipment use the PC crash, sorry for my english, since I use the google translator.

Thank you very much, I hope that if I can contribute something to the forum is positive, and in this way I can see how they are working elsewhere, and incidentally show how to work in Spain.

DPatrickRyan
First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Ryan

Re: minimum distance headlights illuminate

Post by DPatrickRyan »

There's no simple answer, because "illuminate" is a poorly-defined term. In my experience, I find that 50m is roughly the limit for useful low-beam illumination for many objects, and 100m is roughly the limit for high beams. However, the key isn't the amount of illumination, but the amount of contrast, so the type of object will make a large difference: if you're illuminating a dark, non-reflective object, there will probably be insufficient contrast at much closer than 50m, while retroreflective tape might be clearly visible at much more than 50m. Don't forget, though, that this will also be dependent on headlamp throw patterns, and that low beams tend to illuminate lower objects first. Also, identification of the object is important - if the driver can't tell what it is, he generally can't tell where it is.

Night vision is hard, especially from a theoretical perspective. Your best bet is to do a re-enactment with representative vehicles instead of relying on a rule of thumb number. Hope that helps!
D. Patrick Ryan, P.Eng. - Graham Ryan Consulting Ltd.
#34, 11410 - 27 Street SE Calgary, AB T2Z 3R6
Phone: (403) 290-1150 Fax: 290-0659 Cell: 651-8340

pepewa

Post by pepewa »

This is the regulation we have now, as I understand it is well lit or do not distinguish an enrollment sighted 10 meters or tourism black painted 50 meters , it is assumed that the test would have to do if one distinguishes an enrollment or not until it was clear there , but I want to know that the light beam has to have that car at least with short and long range , since the state does not give me the means to get a vehicle and do the tests pertienentes I guess I would have to ask the judge and I authorize it .

Article 100 long-range lighting and road

1. Any vehicle with high beam or highway traveling at over 40 miles per hour between sunset and sunrise , outside town , for poorly lit roads or any time of day through tunnels, underpasses and sections affected by the signal path "Tunnel" ( S -5 ) insufficiently illuminated , will carry on, except when to use the short-range or cross , according to the provisions of articles 101 and 102 , especially to avoid glare .

The long-range light or headlamps may be used alone or with short range .

Two . It prohibits the use of light reaching road or whenever the vehicle is stopped or parked , and alternative employment , in flashes of light reaching or light road and short-range or crossing , for purposes other than those provided for in this regulation.

Three . It is understood via insufficiently illuminated one in which , with normal vision , at some point in your driveway , can not read the number plate at 10 meters or not you distinct dark painted vehicle 50 meters away.

April . The assumptions of movement in the glare occurs to other road users and traffic without lighting situations lack or reduction of visibility shall be considered serious offenses , as envisaged in Article 65.4.e ) Text articulated .

Article 101 short-range lighting or cross

1. Every motor vehicle and moped to circulate between sunset and sunrise urban or interurban routes bright enough , or anytime of the day through tunnels, underpasses and road sections affected by the signal "Tunnel" ( S -5 ) enlightened enough , take on, in addition to position lighting , lighting or cross -range .

Also take on that lighting in the villages , when the road is poorly lit.

Two . Every motor vehicle and moped must wear on short-range lighting or crossing when driving between sunset and sunrise lit poorly interurban roads or any time of day through tunnels , underpasses and other sections affected by the signal "Tunnel" insufficiently illuminated when any of the following circumstances :

a) do not have long-range lighting .
b ) Circular speed not exceeding 40 kilometers per hour and not using long-range lighting .
c ) Ability to produce dazzling other road users .
Three . The assumptions of movement in the glare occurs to other road users and traffic without lighting in default or decreased visibility infringements shall be considered serious , as envisaged in Article 65.4.e ) Text articulated .

pepewa

Post by pepewa »

We regulation of light bulbs and headlights, which says it must not exceed 225 000 cd, which is a European directive of 1976, I called OSRAM (bulb manufacturer) and was told that his H7 bulb providing 1500 lumen + -10%, I want to know how to translate those lumens or candelas meters focal length, as in the Dwellings light bulbs say 20 meters away, when I called I told them, because if you say that light over 20 meters as conventional bulbs is the minimum required to be lighted answering me that's not up to them depending on the focus, called HELLA total (bulbs manufacturer) and they said they are experiemntos that the results can not tell me to call the motherhouse of the vehicle in question.

This giving a lot of thought and I'm getting dizzy.

pepewa

Post by pepewa »

sample report attached lighting is in German, but good.

regards
Attachments
informe de iluminación.pdf
(2.32 MiB) Downloaded 1316 times