2009 Chevy Silverado T bone

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
george3487
First Name: George
Last Name: Ferger

2009 Chevy Silverado T bone

Post by george3487 »

On June 23rd 2013, my Dad attempted to make a left turn over a 4 lane street, he was hit on his drivers side door while driving his 2009 Chevy Silverado. The other vehicle was a 2008 Nissan Rogue. He died hours later at the hospital from pelvic internal bleeding. The police have the Nissan going 37-40mph, and my Dad going 4-7mph.

Initially I thought the other vehicle had to be speeding, but the police say no. My Dads Chevy has a 5 star side impact crash test rating, but the truck crumbled so badly.

I do not know what to make of this, I just don't understand how a car going 37-40 can do that much damage to a truck with a 5 star side impact rating.

I have also researched online and found some people who got hit in the same truck/area from vehicles traveling 60/65+ and they survived. Photo links below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hcgl3v6w72c4y6f/R2w1uFlZrq

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k3n7sdoecmkc390/tq6-q5Q0i-

actar670
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: McNally

Re: 2009 Chevy Silverado T bone

Post by actar670 »

My initial impression is that the Rogue was most definitely traveling significantly faster than 37 to 40 miles per hour. I would suggest to you that the vehicle experienced a change in velocity of at least 37 to 40 miles per hour, which suggests an impact speed well north of 60 miles per hour.

I have attached a link to the NHTSA vehicle crash test database. Do a search for Nissan Rogue and take a look at the frontal crash test photos. You will see that the damage in a 35 mph barrier test is similar (probably a little less severe) to the damage seen on the Nissan in your father's crash. Translating barrier crash test damage to car-to-car damage, one would have to conclude that the Nissan Rogue was traveling significantly faster than 37 to 40 miles per hour indicated by the police reconstruction.

One of the 35 mph barrier test photos is attached.
NHTSA Test 6248 - 2008 Nissan Rogue at 35 mph into a fixed barrier
NHTSA Test 6248 - 2008 Nissan Rogue at 35 mph into a fixed barrier
Also do a search for crash test reports for the Chevrolet Silverado. In the search results, if you see a "2" in the column listing Vehicle Number, those tests are likely side impacts meant to replicate a so-called 30/15 impact configuration (striking vehicle traveling at 30mph and struck vehicle traveling at 15 mph) I have attached one of those tests for your convenience. You will see that that the moving barrier traveling at 30 miles per hour caused nowhere near the damage sustained by you father's vehicle.

I would suggest that you contact a good attorney who has experience working with a good crash reconstructionist.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/a ... hicle.aspx
Attachments
v06168R008.pdf
NHTSA 30/15 crash test with Chevrolet Silverado
(13.01 MiB) Downloaded 1050 times
Bruce McNally
McNally & Associates ARS, LLC
41 Champlin Ridge Road
Rochester, NH 03867
Office (603) 516-4560
Web http://mcnallyassociates.com

george3487

Post by george3487 »

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately the other person does not have any bodily injury and no lawyer wants to touch this case. All though I have witnesses and the whole nine yards that my dad did stop at STOP sign and then proceeded. The other driver was on their phone or obviously doing something to be distracted since his phone was in pieces according to witnesses.

The cops did not even care to look into phone records or do anything. They were convinced the other vehicle was not speeding. By the looks of this accident, I have to say the there vehicle had to be traveling at least 50-55 mph. i mean look at the frame the whole solid metal frame is bent in like the drivers side didn't even exist. And if this was a 40mph crash, its very sad that a pick up truck held up like this, even being hit by a small Suv.

george3487

Post by george3487 »

actar670 I received an email that you sent me a Private message on here. When I go check it, it says Im not authorized to read it. If you wanted to contact me, email me at GeorgeFerger@gmail.com.

Thanks!