WFLA8: "Car 'black boxes' - Your every move being tracked" [VIDEO in link]

This forum is for the open, public discussion of the Crash Data Retrieval Tool or Event Data Recorder technology. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site and not intended for direct CDR Tool User technical or analytical support.
seanhaight
Site Admin
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Haight

WFLA8: "Car 'black boxes' - Your every move being tracked" [VIDEO in link]

Post by seanhaight »

http://www.wfla.com/story/28032391/car- ... ng-tracked
Data recorders in airplanes can provide critical information for investigators about what was going on in the cockpit in the moments before a crash, but did you know you may have a black box inside the car you drive each day - recording your every single move? It's true.

These so called black boxes are actually Event Data Recorders, and they're taking permanent notes on your driving habits.

"They give us a snap shot of what was going on the last 5 to 10 seconds before the crash," Martin Jaffe, Morgan & Morgan Attorney explained.

8 On Your Side found out your insurance company can retrieve your driving data without you even knowing about it.

"I don't really like that fact unless its my insurance company and their helping me in my claim," Asia Patrick, driver with EDR, said.

So far 15 states have enacted privacy laws on who can access EDR data. Florida is not one of them. So here's what you can do to help protect your privacy.
  • Hire a accident reconstruction service to download your data If your vehicle is totaled
    ask your insurance company for an EDR report.
    Contact an attorney
http://www.wfla.com/story/28032391/car- ... ng-tracked
Sean Haight, PhD

CrashForum.info
Site Administrator
Engineer, ACTAR #2769
Editor, Collision Publishing

dpayne
First Name: dennis
Last Name: payne

Re: WFLA8: "Car 'black boxes' - Your every move being tracked" [VIDEO in link]

Post by dpayne »

I saw this on TV. Under the guise of "reporting", WFLA said your every move is being recorded. The accuracy of the remarks is outrageous but in keeping with the MIT reference to stupid American people.
Dennis Payne
Hanlon's Razor
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.