Can anybody estimate the speed of the other car?

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
Redcliff
First Name: Redcliff
Last Name: Wu

Can anybody estimate the speed of the other car?

Post by Redcliff »

Hello all,

My friend got a car accident recently. She was hit by the SUV at the passenger side. I wonder if any body can give me a good estimate on the speed of the other car from her car's damage. My friend's car is Ford Taurus 2002. The other car is Ford Explorer 2014. Here I attach the image of my friend's car for the reference.

Thanks in advance!

Redcliff
Attachments
IMG_9763.JPG

edeyerl
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Deyerl

Re: Can anybody estimate the speed of the other car?

Post by edeyerl »

No need to estimate the speed - both of those vehicles have "black boxes" from which crash-related damage can be downloaded. Looks like the Taurus car is a California car. If you are in SoCal, give me a call if you'd like to discuss further.

Eric Deyerl, P.E.
Dial Engineering
Culver City, CA
(310) 670-3600

Redcliff

Post by Redcliff »

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the message!
But we cannot obtain the "black box" of the other car. Therefore, we have to use the damage of my friend's car to estimate the speed of the other car.

Redcliff

sd3225
First Name: Doug
Last Name: English

Post by sd3225 »

Be very careful about estimating the speed of the other car by only using the damage to your car. To help you understand this a little better... we can see the damage to your car.... but not to the other car... so imagine the difference in damage to the other vehicle as the difference between a heavy truck and being hit with a minicooper. I think you said it was an explorer..... but to make a reasonable "estimate from the other cars damage would require some additional investigation, ie measurements, etc. While looking at the photos of both and making an estimate may yield a "ballpark" speed, but I would be very cautious about saying it was going XX mph. What is the reason you cannot image data from the other module??

Redcliff

Post by Redcliff »

Hi sd3225,

Sorry for the late reply! I appreciate your advice!

Redcliff

nwcps618
First Name: dan
Last Name: ludwig

Post by nwcps618 »

Damage only gives part of speed. More info is needed, such as was there any pre-impact braking ?