Any breakthroughs on recovering Subaru Eyesight camera images?

This forum is for the open, public discussion of the Crash Data Retrieval Tool or Event Data Recorder technology. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site and not intended for direct CDR Tool User technical or analytical support.
rferreira
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Ferreira

Any breakthroughs on recovering Subaru Eyesight camera images?

Post by rferreira »

I have had no luck trying to track down someone who can access data specifically from the Subaru Eyesight system,

Our case involves a Subaru v. Pedestrian incident where obviously the Bosch CDR system did not show a recorded event.

I’ve seen rumors of people getting eyesight camera data similar to what we see in Toyota Techstream, but no concrete information on how this data was obtained.

I’ve tried talking with Subaru of America, they weren’t of any help other than saying “maybe a third party can download the data for you.”

If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

R.Botter
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Botter

Re: Any breakthroughs on recovering Subaru Eyesight camera images?

Post by R.Botter »

For starters, the Bosch Crash Data RETRIEVAL system never records ANY events. In my experience when you talk to OEs they will give you answers based on the questions you ask. Ask an OE for "black box" data and they say "we don't have a 'black box' in our cars." That's true. Then ask them for "EDR data" and use the 563 definition of an EDR and you get a different answer. Ask them if the Bosch system recorded anything in their car and they're using something from Denso and they can answer truthfully "no Bosch system records anything in our cars."

IF Subaru is saying someone else can get the data for you, that probably means there IS some sort of data BUT what that "data" is will probably be open again to interpretation. You might get pix with Techstream, can you get any from EyeSight and does Subaru call that "data" or "pictures" or "images?"

I've never heard of anyone getting data, images, pictures or anything from EyeSight but that doesn't mean it's not there or that someone else may have found a way. But to get an OE to cooperate you probably need to use the right terms and clearly define your request.
R. Botter Engineering

uwef_de
First Name: Uwe
Last Name: Fuerbeth

Post by uwef_de »

Subaru EyeSight only records data, if the Pre-Collision Braking System is operated.

The Pre-Collision Braking System is designed for avoiding mainly head-on rear-end collisions (with other cars). But it has limited capabilities to detect also pedestrians. As you can read in the owner manual https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/ow ... A_STIS.pdf, (page 25f), there is a number of preconditions for possible detection. I would check these preconditions for your case and then decide whether a contact with Subaru makes sense.
Attachments
Subaru_EyeSight.JPG

Rusty Haight
First Name: W. R. Rusty
Last Name: Haight

Post by Rusty Haight »

Subaru ACMs DO have a dedicated recording space for ped-related data (1) assuming the car is so equipped AND (2) the event triggers the pedestrian protection recording threshold. The Bosch tool would retrieve data from that Subaru ACM and it would be displayed in the data translation report. You will find this for Subaru Systems in the Bosch CDR Tool data translation report:
In the Data Limitations, Subaru wrote:The airbag ECU has two spaces for recording crash data. Regarding vehicles equipped with pedestrian protection devices, there is one dedicated area for recording data of crash with pedestrians, in addition to the above two recording areas. (-22001_DL001_r003)
In the Data Limitations, Subaru wrote:The airbag ECU has two recording pages for each accident type: two pages for frontal and rear crash, two pages for a side crash, two pages for rollover event(*), and two pages for pedestrian crash(*). *if equipped (-22002_DL002_r004)
The recording spaces would look like this in the latter example:
System Status.PNG
I think, if you did a download of the ACM using the Bosch CDR Tool, AND the system had pedestrian protection, AND there was an event, you would know it from the CDR tool data translation report. Now, whether or not Subaru has a lower recording threshold separately within the EyeSight system is a second question and that's outside the Bosch CDR Tool's retrieval capacity.
- Rusty Haight
Collision Safety Institute