Kia Stinger 2022 - Side Collision

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
pixxie75
First Name: Carey
Last Name: Hryn

Kia Stinger 2022 - Side Collision

Post by pixxie75 »

My son was in a collision and i am surprised at the speeds that his side airbags and curtain did not deploy. Does anyone know what parameters are required in a side impact to activate the side bags? This was at 80KMH.
Attachments
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

Rusty Haight
First Name: W. R. Rusty
Last Name: Haight

Re: Kia Stinger 2022 - Side Collision

Post by Rusty Haight »

pixxie75 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:51 am My son was in a collision and i am surprised at the speeds that his side airbags and curtain did not deploy. Does anyone know what parameters are required in a side impact to activate the side bags? This was at 80KMH.
Carey:
Airbags don't deploy because of some vehicle speed. Think about it this way: you're at a stoplight waiting for it to change and turn and some guy goes out of his lane into your stopped car head-on...you might want an airbag but, nope, your speed is zero... Does that make sense?

So airbags deploy as a function of a number of inputs starting with acceleration (which can be positive or negative on a given axis on a car) and then take into account the developing rate of acceleration, occupant restraints in use, occupant proximity to the steering wheel and dash and, in some cases, a few other considerations but, generally, that's pretty much it. Damage isn't something the airbag computer can see, it's not a consideration. The apparent distance of the contact area to the airbag computer can play a role in deployment decisions.

Looking at the picture of your son's car, while there's a lot of bent and twisted metal...there isn't much from the front of the car in terms of a substantial, stiff, structural component that was engaged. I doubt the airbag computer saw that as much of an impact and, for that reason, didn't deploy anything. In this case, another consideration was WHERE the contact is relative to the driver's seat. The side sensors would have seen this as something other than a crash calling for side bags or curtains.
- Rusty Haight
Collision Safety Institute

Marian29
First Name: Marian
Last Name: Grajdaru

Re: Kia Stinger 2022 - Side Collision

Post by Marian29 »

Hi,
I hope it helps;
AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT CRITERIA
By:
Jesse Kendall, P.E., Forensic Scientist at the Institute of Risk & Safety Analyses
(jesse@irsa.us, (818) 226-9974 x8)
Kenneth Alvin Solomon, Ph.D., P.E., Post Ph.D., Chief Scientist at the Institute of Risk & Safety
Analyses (kennethsolomon@mac.com, (818) 348-1133)

https://www.experts.com/content/article ... -Paper.pdf